Who is ASWCO
Active and healthy Aboriginal peoples, families and communities in Ontario.
Enhance the physical, emotional, mental, spiritual, cultural and social well-being of Aboriginal peoples of Ontario through physical activity, recreation and sports activities.
While respecting our Values – to provide a broad range of services, as well as regional and provincial research, planning, implementation and evaluation of various initiatives that support our Six Pillars.
- Promote and adhere to the seven sacred teachings in all of its activities: Love, Honour, Respect, Truth, Honesty, Courage, Humility.
- Promote inclusiveness across generations (children, youth, adults, elders) and of all Aboriginal peoples in Ontario – recognizing diversity across the province.
- Recognize the need for strategies to address specific regions – such as the far north and urban centres.
- Recognize the importance of maintaining a sustainable Provincial/Territorial Aboriginal Sport Body (P/TASB).
- Identify the importance of building leadership and development, opportunities to participate, and partnerships among Aboriginal peoples.
- Respecting traditional languages and the diversity of Aboriginal languages across Ontario.
- Respecting Aboriginal cultural and traditional practices and protocols, and encourage incorporating those when applicable.
- Long-term Holistic Development: Personal, social and athletic development through physical activity, recreation and sport – from grassroots to high-performance activity.
- Leadership and Coaching Development: Certification and mentorship for coaches/officials/ trainers/sport leaders/role models/volunteers. Implement Aboriginal Coach Manual.
- Recognition of Excellence: Highlight accomplishments and successes of athletes, coaches, community builders, volunteers, community/First Nations.
- Partnership and Development: Multi-sector relationships, resource and fund development.
- Communications and Informatics/ Information Technology (IT): Database development and management, information hub, share resources/information, media relations, website maintenance, events calendar, e-newsletter, e-learning.
- Governance: Develop and maintain governance structure, business plan/sustainability, develop provincial Aboriginal Sport Policy, human resources/administration.